Join Our CSA Program
We are pleased to offer our community a CSA box program. Now accepting members for our 2018 program.
What is a CSA
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Becoming an Earth Haven Farm CSA member gives you a direct relationship with us, your farmers. Your membership provides you with much more than the weekly joy of receiving ultra-fresh, organic and locally grown produce. It provides you with education, the opportunity to try new food, and pride in the knowledge that you are reducing your environmental footprint and directly contributing to sustainable, local, organic farming while helping to support the next generation of farmers.
The Earth Haven Farm CSA program is an experience that includes:
- A weekly or bi-weekly box of freshly harvested organic produce, containing 7-12 items, depending on share size. Produce will change throughout the growing season.
- Small Size - suitable for a single person or couple with minimal green requirements.
- Medium Size - ideal for the vegetarian, a couple or a small family.
- Large Size - ideal for the family that loves their greens, vegetarians, juicers, cooks and people that like to entertain.
- Weekly recipes and tips on easy ways to use the produce in your box
- Nutritional facts about your food
- Family friendly insights into the craft of farming and the source of your food
How Our CSA Works
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) shares give you a direct connection to the local farm where your vegetables are grown and with the farmer who grows them. They also give you fresh, delicious, organic produce throughout the growing season.
By buying shares of the future harvest while the ground is still frozen, you allow us to purchase the seeds and equipment needed in the spring. Once the season begins, usually by mid-June, we harvest fresh vegetables for you to enjoy each week or bi-weekly if preferred up until the end of the season, usually by mid-October.
Shareholders thus agree to share the risks as well as the bounty of the harvest, allowing farmers to focus on growing – that is what we do best!
Shares are harvested weekly for 18-20 weeks starting approximately by mid-June. You will be notified as soon as crops are ready for harvesting and pick-up. Members are encouraged to bring their own bags, baskets or containers to take the bounty home. Each week the contents of the share change based on what is in season.
Payment is required at the time you sign up to become a member. We accept cash, cheque or e-transfer. Installments can be arranged.
Additions to Your CSA Box
Over and above your CSA box we can make the following items available to you (extra cost), pending availability. This items will be paid for at time of pick-up or delivery on the day of.
- Free Range Eggs - truly free range chickens, raised on certified organic grain, plenty of grass, insects and vegetable scraps making them very high in protein and highly nutritious. Our chickens are raised from day old chicks. There are roosters in the flock.
- Grass Fed Beef - 100% grass fed, grass finished, no hormones, no antibiotics, no GMO. Purebred Scottish Highland Cattle. We do not butcher often, so meat is not always available and when it is it is in high demand. Quantities and cuts of meat will be limited. No reservations.
- Tallow Soap - this is the kind of soap that has been made for 1,000 of years in cultures around the world. It is simply made from "tallow" the choice fat from the belly of a grass fed cow and lye. We make it in small batches and it is available in natural, mint, and lavender scents.
- Wild Rice - from James Whetung of Curve Lake First Nations, Black Duck Wild Rice is harvested in the traditional native ways as taught to him by James grandfather.
- Rolled Oats, Spelt, Red Fife and Dark Rye Flours - from Loon Song Gardens of Manitoulin Island. This is another biodynamic farm growing with integrity and a consciousness for food nutrition and quality.
- Maple Syrup - from Dooganing of Wikwemekong First Nations on Manitoulin Island. This is a family owned and operated business that harvests and produces their maple syrup in the bush as their grandparents did.
- Herbal Teas - from Tibo Teas are wild harvested with natural ingredients found in the woodland areas of Northern and Eastern Ontario. Tea blends are medicinal for what ails you, from anxiety, PMS, arthritis, pain, inflammation, irritable bowel, or for overall well-being.
- Other products - we are always looking for something new (value added) to add to our product offerings. Stay tuned through our social media for updates and availability.
To sign up for our 2018 CSA program, complete the form below or Contact Us with your questions. We will get back to you promptly with details, payment, and answer any of your questions.
Earth Haven Farm CSA Membership Sign-Up Form